We have created this COVID-19 Response plan to help you respond to the pandemic in primary eye care settings. This will help you:
- Assess and mitigate COVID-19 risks in practice
- Work through applicable COVID-19 guidance and advice from the HSA, HSE and HPSC
- Plan for variations in infection rates.
It includes practical measures you can take to prepare for change using a ‘4Ps’ matrix framework to help you to keep patients, staff and visitors safe.
It also brings together guidance on return to work questions, other screening questions, a summary of cleaning advice and PPE in primary care settings.
The guidance has been updated to reflect updated clinical guidance that non-contact can now be used as it is no longer regarded as an aerosol generating procedure (AGP).
We will continue to engage and work with sector partners to keep this framework up to date.
Members have asked us to pool free resources from trusted sources so they can quickly find what they need. We have done this below, including links to posters, videos and training material from trusted sources.
HSE handwashing video
Preventing the spread of infection for reception and non-clinical staff
The Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment has a range of COVID-19 support measures open to businesses.
- You can register for the COVID Restrictions Support Scheme (CRSS) if you have been forced to close or trade at significantly reduced levels because of COVID-19 restrictions. This provides a weekly payment of up to €5,000 to eligible businesses.
- The Employment Wage Subsidy Scheme (EWSS) provides a fixed subsidy to qualifying employers based on eligible employees on the payroll. EWSS is operated by Revenue and will run until 31 March 2021.
- There is also a range of other schemes, including grants, vouchers and loans. Read more about this and other support you might be able to access.
- HSE HPSC COVID-19 guidance for healthcare settings
- HSE COVID-19 reports and policies
- HAS COVID-19 advice for employers and employees
Originally published: 5 June 2020
Reviewed: 8 October 2020
Next review date: 31 January 2021
Reference and notes
FODO Ireland published COVID-19 Response Plan, Meeting eye health needs and preventing vision impairments in primary eye care settings on 5 June, and then reissued this on 18 June in partnership with the Association of Optometrists Ireland. The 18 June update removed the restriction on NCT procedures following updated guidance from Ophthalmology and Optometry Colleges. The guidance was reviewed on 8 October and hyperlinks which had expired were updated.